RE: [IP] another DUH! comment

> From: Mary Nosir [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

>  There are more people living with and dying from diabetes
> than AIDS and breast
> cancer combined, but we don't have as many fund raising
> efforts as those
> charities.

That statement is a little misleading. HIV/AIDS is and has been the leading
cause of premature mortality in terms of years of potential life lost under
age 65 since the early 1980's.  The second leading cause is intentional
injury (i.e. suicide).  While there may be more prevalent cases of diabetes
than HIV/AIDS and breast cancer, the vast majority of those cases are type 2
diabetes which does not kill anywhere near as fast as either HIV/AIDS or
breast cancer.

Now don't get me wrong - I'm all in favor of increased funding for diabetes
research.  But we also must be realistic: most of that funding is going to
be to lower the incidence of type 2 diabetes, not type 1 simply because 85
percent of diabetes is type 2.

Jim Handsfield