Re: [IP] can someone help ???

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:13:52 EST, tom  from nj wrote:
 >but it's hard to sit  there and think about the damage you are doing to
your body at 200 or 300
 >waiting for the stupid insulin to start working.

You're talking about it being at 200 or 300 for a couple of hours. Back
in the old days it wasn't at all unusual to get 4+ urine tests
continuously for several days. The kidneys start to spill sugar when the
BG goes over the threshhold, which is usually somewhere between 150 and
200. And a 4+ test meant I was spilling lots of sugar, for days at a
time. 4+ was the highest color on the chart. I lived this way for 40
years before home BG tests became available, and somehow I have survived
in spite of all those high sugars. I really don't think 200 or 300 for a
couple of hours is going to do serious damage.

I don't know about you, but for me insulin is what keeps me alive, so I
don't think it's stupid. I appreciate almost every unit of insulin I
have taken for 60 years.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000