Re: [IP] vegetarians (plus gastroparesis)

My children both became vegetarians as young teenagers, and I tried hard to
figure out meals I could eat with them.  When I started MDI back in the
mid-80s, it became a lot easier, but still far from easy.  When I started
having angina in my early 40s, I attempted a Dean Ornish diet for a while,
tried adding things like lo-carb protein powder (something I have never
really figured out how to cover), but found that control with that diet and
MDI was extremely difficult (I had begun using a kind of modified carb
counting by then, rather than the exchange diet).  It wasn't till the
gastroparesis (which brought me to pumping) that I really gave up meat for
good <gr.>.  But I do eat (limited amounts of) egg and milk products, and in
recent years have been able to eat some fatty fish, on the advice of my

I agree with Phoenix, whole (vegetarian) foods are much easier than processed
foods to cover with insulin, as long as my gastroparesis is not acting up
<gr.>.  But I am kind of addicted to those veggie slices <gr.> (but they are
sufficiently small that I don't eat enough of them to be a problem, usually
anyway <gr.>). I can find a lot of nutritional info on the USDA site (
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl), sometimes "googling" an
unusual ingredient first to find out what other names it is know by <gr.>,
but I, also, would be interested in other sources of carb info for foods not
so common in the US, but so easily available around here at ethnic stores and
farmers markets, even sometimes in the Safeway and Giant.

Speaking of the gastroparesis and eating whole foods -- some fiber seems to
help mine, so lots of veggies and fruits works well for me, and sometimes
highly processed things like white flour seem to just sit there.  But certain
really high fiber foods (kamut, a kind of wheat, comes to mind) I don't even
try to eat more than a really small amount of anymore (meaning I don't cook
it, but I might taste it if someone else does <gr.>).  I don't know if the
difference is between the density of the fiber or the type of fiber or
whether there is something else entirely going on.  Beans are also sometime a
problem, but fine in limited amounts.

Linda Z