[IP] Re: pumping sooner? LONG response

I said:
>  <<I wonder if I would not be on dialysis now if I had been taught how to
> the *tools* properly and encouraged with help for decent A1c's instead of
> congratulated for achieving 8.2%. >>
>  Did they know know how to use the tools? I've found out WAAAAYYY more
> communicating with people who have diabetes than I have learned from
health care
> professionals. As my daughter would say: the Internet rocks!
> Shelley

Now you've given me a chance to rant about my now-former endo - a pioneer in
the pump field. He was one of two endos in Indiana who Rx'd pumps in the
early '80s. The other one was in Indy; we're in north-central Indiana. The
DCCT ended in the early '90s?? and lots was learned, but he didn't teach us
how to get the good control or inform us of any of it. If we happened to
read the right materials at the right times, we'd get info.

I took my BG chart in for each app't and he'd glance at it, lay it down then
hand it back to me.

When we were cutting strips to save $$ cuz meters were $400, he said, "So
what if you compare it to 200 and it's actually 186, you're not going to do
anything about it anyway." NO suggestion to do or how to bring that down to
a target range. Results fwere for information only. That phrase really stuck
in my mind and I often take a test and ignore it. Maybe a half hour later it
may dawn on me to DO something about it. I'm still learning. ;-)

In early-mid '90s I was in the user study for the Accu-Chek Complete that
stores 1000 tests. I'd take my meter in for a readout, place it on his desk
and he'd shove it back towards me. I'd scoot it back over and he'd shove it
back. Didn't care. When I first heard about carb counting I was in shock
that I didn't know about it and I had THE BEST endo around. I asked him why
I didn't know and he said, "Stick to the exchange system, it's easier."

I woke up one morning over 600 BG and was getting pretty sick. I called him
and he didn't call back until 5:00 p.m. I asked what took him so long: "If
you don't know what to do, I don't know what to do." Welllll, I cannot admit
myself to the hosp or write Rx's - I do not have his capabilities!!

I was having surgery and wanted to do my own pump care with the help of my
newly-acquainted CDE. The surgeon's office was balking at my insistence on
talking to the anesthesiologist so they called doc. He said "Have her reduce
to basals." Now, that doesn't even make sense. He had already been fired by
the Physician's Network so couldn't come to the hospital. WHEW!!!  The CDE
took very good care of me and they couldn't override her instructions - and
she listened to me as well. Thanks, Nan!!!

When I went for app'ts I'd mostly listen to him telling me of his ventures,
etc., then he'd give me free samples of meds and write an Rx if needed and
I'd be gone. I'd really feel like wasted time and so empty. I saw him for 19
years. When he called about a 15.6 A1c asking if I was having problems, I
said, "No." I didn't think I was since anything I did always resulted in
highs. (These are feelings leftover from 50+ years ago when we had nothing
to work with.) We hung up and left it at that. If he knew how to use the
tools he should have given me instructions and stuff to work with, keep
track of whatever, boluses, etc. I never went to medical school - he did,
and lots of years.

At one visit he told me he had been going to business school the previous 5
years. That told me LOTS! I had told him of the eyeologist in Indy who had
an office on the north side and one on the south side. He said lots of drs
have more than one office, I'm going to do that. Perhaps that's why he went
to business school? He is from Korea and he complained that the American drs
were more interested in cutting people open to get more $$ - therefore they
didn't want to Rx external pumps. If they were implantable that required
cutting and more $$. I think he became Americanized.

When he was fired another patient called me to see what I was going to do. I
said words like basal testing, carb counting, etc. and he had never heard
these words. That is very sad. Doc had aboaut 2 dozen pumpers. He laughed
when a couple of other doctors told him they had about 250. Maybe 25 of them
gave their pumps up. Doc laughed and said none of his gave them up.
Welllllllll, I see about 200 people cheated out of the opportunity!

So, if he had kept up with pumping instead of business school, and kept his
patients informed of changes and updates as they occured from the start,
with goals of how to achieve good A1c's - who knows??????

BTW, he has reopened his office and had an ad in the paper and patients are
going in. I won't and most of the people I know who went to him won't. In
the early '80s he went through a period of depression and everyone noticed
it. We didn't know what caussed it other than perhaps the birth of his last
child. He never seemed to fully recover. :-(

Dialyzing since 7/8/02

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the
same night.