From:  email @ redacted
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:11:01 -0500 (EST)
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Re: TCDC/Camp Adam Fisher

In a message dated 2/11/2003 6:03:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

Does anyone know of a good residential summer camp for diabetics in the
Southeast? Preferably North Carolina?  My 10 year old daughter is really
interested in going to a diabetes camp this summer, but after some of the
comments here the last few days maybe that is not the best idea.

> I miss it [TCDC]
> alot and I'm almost 28!
> - --janet (Dx @ age 3, 8/78; pumping H-tron+ since 6/00)

I just have to jump in here and echo Janet about TCDC.  I still miss it and
I'm almost 53!  Tennessee Camp for Diabetic Children was one of the most
important events of my young life.  I went as a camper for four years from
1961-63 and 1965.

One year we didn't get my application in on time and I was put on the
list.  I was so devastated that my parents planned a three week vacation to
California for our family to go to Disneyland (this was pre-DisneyWorld). We
had the "trip of a lifetime" as my dad liked to call it.  Our family
recounted it for years as just that.  When I went back to camp the year
the trip all my camp friends were so envious of my getting to go to
Disneyland.  But I would have gladly traded it to have had those weeks at

It wasn't for years later - in my 40's - that I allowed myself to feel that
loss.  It was the year I had 52 weeks of feeling different from everyone
rather than just 50.  I visited TCDC 28 years later when I was in
for a wedding, and I was amazed that I remembered every rock and tree and
could still vividly recall my friends' voices, faces and laughter.  I also
recalled all the incredible carefree fun I had, and the self-esteem boost of
learning canoeing, horseback riding, swimming, diving and so many other
things - "on my own" without hovering parents.  (Don't get me wrong, my
parents were wonderful.)  The fact that there were hovering, knowledgeable
counselors, though, was totally different.  They seemed to know how to
diabetes in a way that just made me relax and have fun in a way I didn't
experience anywhere else.

This past summer I got to visit a camp in South Carolina called Camp Adam
Fisher.  It was so much like my camping days at TCDC that I found myself
feeling like a kid again!  Another terrific camp to consider.
Brenda Martinez
dx'd 1957 at age 6, pumping 6 years

Classic White.jpg]

http://mail2web.com/ .