Re: [IP] Humolog not working....

I've replied to both of your e-mail here.

My daughter Eve who is 15.5  has diabetes and Humalog has always worked
inconsistently for her. The same things have happened to her as you.
Sometimes a high bolus will bring her down fine and other times she will be
very low in four hours (like this morning). We too thought that some how her
insulin was going bad in a short amount of time or was handle wrong in
shipping or at the pharmacy.

When she was in the hospital in Dec. in DKA (gave her 45 units at a time and
her number would not budge)her endo had her tested for antibodies against
pork and beef insulin and insulin analogs such as Humalog and Novolog. It
turns out that she is resistant to pork and beef insulin and insulin
analogs. She is 19% resistant to beef insulin and insulin analogs and 13%
resistant to pork insulin. Normal resistant is less than 3%.

Her endo said they put kids who are resistant to insulin analogs on pumps.
Eve has been on a pump for close to 4 years now. I have been searching on
the internet for information about insulin analog resistant or antibodies
against insulin analogs since I was told this. I haven't found any
information. My next step is to call someone that handled the DPT studies at
the U of Minn. thinking that someone there would know something.

Perhaps, some doctor here on this e-mail site might know more about this.

Deborah mom to Eve 15.5, and her pump
Dxed 5/3/96 pumping 5/21/99