Re: [IP] Bad hospital experiences

In a message dated 02/10/2003 10:07:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I was in the hospital with atrial fib at the end of July. The first food I
> got (with no insulin) was a tray containing a hamburger on a giant bun,
> French fries with ketchup, and apple sauce.
> Finally, a couple of hours later I got my blood sugar checked.  Everyone,
> except me, was surprised that it was 400!
> >Medical professionals who don't work in the diabetes specialty can be
> >remarkably ignorant about the basics of diabetes management, can't they?

I am like the average diabetic when it comes to giving blood. I was in the
hospital for a leg infection from a wood splinter on my knee. I was 5 or 6
years old, so it was 1950 or 51. At that time there were no finger sticks for
blood sugar testing. They drew a vial of blood from your arm and sent it to
the lab. On this night I had a new nurse who I think was as upset as I was.
She put the LARGE needle thru my small vein in the elbow area. I had this
LARGE needle with a long rubber tube wrapped around my arm. The nurse
screamed and left me with all these things attached to me. She went to get
the head nurse who pulled the LARGE needle back slowly till she was able to
get some blood. The worst part was they were back 6 hours later. Roger C (dx
12/1/47 pm 5/7/00) still dragging my hockey puck behind