Re:[IP] Resident Summer Camps for Diabetics

To Cindy Hoehn,

Hopefully this will allay some of your concerns about
summer camps.  Most of the stories (including mine)
were from the dark ages of the 70s & 80s.  I went to a
very well run camp after my candy-binging camp.  It
was a fantastic place, well-staffed with knowledgable
medical personnel and counselors.  A diabetic youth
should NOT be denied the opportunity to make LIFE LONG
friends from summer camp.  I am still in touch with
some of the friends I made way back then!  I have
attended weddings, graduations, and other celebrations
for those friends.  The mother of one of my camping
buddies came to my mother's funeral just last year.
Even some folks on this list I've known for nearly as
long - eh, Scott?

As a direct result of a diabetic back-packing trip to
the Rocky Mountains in 1975, I made up my mind to live
in Denver when I grew up (well, I haven't grown up
yet, but you know what I mean).

I hope you can see that there are professional, well
run camps for diabetic kids.  The experience your
child will have is fantastic and the memories will
probably last a lifetime.

-gail in denver
Dx'd T1 02/14/72 @ age 11, pumping since 1985-ish.

Do you Yahoo!?