Re: [IP] Bad hospital experiences

> I was in the hospital with atrial fib at the end of July. The first food I
> got (with no insulin) was a tray containing a hamburger on a giant bun,
> French fries with ketchup, and apple sauce.
> Finally, a couple of hours later I got my blood sugar checked.  Everyone,
> except me, was surprised that it was 400!

Well, DUH!!  How common is this problem?  It happened twice to me and then
to you.  I simply do not understand how someone in the medical profession
cannot understand that insulin dependent diabetics require more insulin when
they consume food.

I could more readily understand someone not understanding the need for basal
insulin.  If they know what insulin does in the human body -- making the
body able to use glucose for energy -- then they should also understand that
when food is eaten insulin is used, and therefore needed by the patient
whose body doesn't make it.

But let's assume for a minute that they don't know what insulin does and
know almost nothing about diabetes and insulin.  If the patient says, "I
need insulin," or even, "I'm going to take my insulin now," as I did in the
first incident,  why don't they say, "Okay, I don't know anything about
that.  I assume you know what you are doing."  But instead it's, "No, the
doctor didn't say anything about that."

Hospital stays work much better for me when orders are written up by the
doctor something along these lines:  Permit the patient to handle her
diabetes and insulin needs as she sees fit.  She is in charge of that aspect
of her care.

In fact, I believe that if I have the opportunity before ever being admitted
to the hospital again, I will request that such orders be written up.  (The
second time it happened, I forgot to request that; so the result should have
been expected.)  It might not be a bad idea for the rest of you, as well.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990