Re: [IP] Nurse Nazi

I had to dig for this one.  Most of my experiences
were actually good ones (my pediatric endo was
marvelous and he ran the entire wing of the hospital
for his diabetic patients).

BUT, there was one time when I was in the hospital and
a candy striper stopped by my room & asked if I wanted
a snack.  I said "I'm diabetic and can't have what you
are serving."  She said "wait a minute" and went to
the nurse's station.  She came back and told me I
could have milk.  Cool.  I got an extra carton of

About 30 minutes later the nurse came in my room and
chewed me out for having something not on my meal
plan.  She treated me as if I were just realizing I
had diabetes (I had been dx'd a few years previous)
"you are diabetic and must watch what you eat.  Just
because you want something doesn't mean you can have
it."  I was floored!  That was a humiliating
experience for me at the age of 14 or so.

There were many positive experiences along the way
though too.  But, that is another thread.

-gail in denver

Do you Yahoo!?