[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
  [Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: [IP] Pumps in School

I agree with what has been said.  I would however still contact your local
ADA or State chapter ADA.  They will have the most experience with schools
in your area and give the best advice on how to tackle the situation.  Your
state will most probably have an association of school nurses.  If school
nurses are doing this in other areas  they can coach them on what to do.
They are generally very involved in how school districts approach this
subject.  Though schools are required by law to assist you they at times try
to fight it.  Be as patient as possible.  Its good to here that they are
willing to work with you.

Nathan Rathbun

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kay Guy" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Pumps in School

> What state are you in? In California, the district has to hire or
> contract with a credentialed school nurse to supervise the training for
> glucagon. We put in Jenny's 504 that at least 3 people on campus had to
> know how to administer glucagon, including her coaches for high school
> sports (field hockey, soccer, and track). Because they don't want to
> lose their Federal funding (special ed and Title 1), they hired a
> credentialed nurse.
> If your child is too young to administer insulin, you can force them to
> comply. Your child cannot be discriminated against because of a medical
> condition. He is entitled to a free public education with whatever
> accommodations are necessary to make that happen.
> You have a lot of power as a parent because of the federal funding that
> school districts depend on for certain things. I would approach the
> principal about a section 504 document. They have to write one if you
> request it on the basis of medical limitations or learning disabilities.
> Then I would go the district and find out who is responsible for health.
> Do they have a health clerk at each school? Do they have a RN that
> covers several schools?
> If you hit a brick wall, the ADA will provide you with legal assistance.
> That was my next step, but they hired a school nurse before I had to get
> an attorney.
> Kay
> email @ redacted wrote:
> >I have a question regarding the responsibility of a public school when it
> >comes to a child on the pump that is too young to be responsible for
> >pump.  Wow, that was a mouth full.  We have decided on a pump for my son
> >will be starting Kindergarten in September.  He will be 5 years old.  At
> >first I was told that the school takes a "hands-off" approach to the
> >Well, with more discussion they said they would do what was necessary.
> >school district does not have a school nurse.  If you have been in this
> >situation please share your experiences with me.  I will also pose this
> >question to the POP list.
> >
> >Coreen - Livonia, MI
> >(Mom to Michael, 4, dx'd 7-01and Megan, 6)
> >----------------------------------------------------------
> >for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact:
> >HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact:
> HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: