Re: [IP] Pumps in School

Caitlyn has been on a pump for 2 1/2 years.  She is halfway through second
grade.  Our district hired an aide to calculate the bolus and monitor
Caitlyn as she does it.  The California Nurses Assn (?) will not do insulin
injections.  They will monitor pump bolusing.  Her daycare refused to do
injections, but agreed to calculate the bolus and watch her input it.  That
seemed to be happy medium for everyone involved.  I am still working on the
glucagon thing, however...  We gave them an easy to follow spreadsheet for
carb and high BG bolusing, as well.  They are obligated by law to hire an
aide at the very least.  Good luck.  Feel free to e-mail me privately if you
would like.

Sincerely,
Carrie C. Vargas, mom to Caitlyn, dx'd 20 months, 11 days shy of 8 years
old!

> email @ redacted wrote:
>
> >I have a question regarding the responsibility of a public school when it
> >comes to a child on the pump that is too young to be responsible for
their
> >pump.  Wow, that was a mouth full.  We have decided on a pump for my son
who
> >will be starting Kindergarten in September.  He will be 5 years old.  At
> >first I was told that the school takes a "hands-off" approach to the
pump.
> >Well, with more discussion they said they would do what was necessary.
Our