Re: [IP] Pumps in School

What state are you in? In California, the district has to hire or
contract with a credentialed school nurse to supervise the training for
glucagon. We put in Jenny's 504 that at least 3 people on campus had to
know how to administer glucagon, including her coaches for high school
sports (field hockey, soccer, and track). Because they don't want to
lose their Federal funding (special ed and Title 1), they hired a
credentialed nurse.

If your child is too young to administer insulin, you can force them to
comply. Your child cannot be discriminated against because of a medical
condition. He is entitled to a free public education with whatever
accommodations are necessary to make that happen.

You have a lot of power as a parent because of the federal funding that
school districts depend on for certain things. I would approach the
principal about a section 504 document. They have to write one if you
request it on the basis of medical limitations or learning disabilities.
Then I would go the district and find out who is responsible for health.
Do they have a health clerk at each school? Do they have a RN that
covers several schools?

If you hit a brick wall, the ADA will provide you with legal assistance.
That was my next step, but they hired a school nurse before I had to get
an attorney.