Re: [IP] Nazi Nurses (kinda long)

In a message dated 2/9/2003 8:37:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> What has
> your worst experience been

Well, I have two that are a toss up.  The first one was one of the times that
I was in the ER when I had a seizure and passed out and hit my head on my
grandma's HARD tile floor because of a low blood sugar.  The paramedics came
and tried to start an IV on me, but since I have the hardest veins in the
world to find, they were unable to get one started so they quickly loaded me
in the ambulance (with my baseball size lump on my forehead as well) and to
me to hospital.  When I got there, I was still unconscious and my blood sugar
was 9.  After about 5 minutes the doctors finally got an IV started and gave
me sugar.  After like 30 minutes they thought I was well enough to be
released so they took the IV out and gave me some OJ and tried to send me
home.  They had never rechecked my BG (even though I kept telling them I
still felt low), they didn't X-ray my head or get a CT scan.  Since my just
about everyone in my family is in the medical business they insisted that
they check my BG again and give me a CT scan.  Its a good thing they did too
because my BG was still only 51 and I had a tiny fracture in my skull.  I
ended up staying in the hospital for 3 days.  The rest of the nurses were
nice and listened to me the whole time, unlike the ER ones who thought that
they knew more than me.
The other bad experience I had was not even when I was the patient.  I was
visiting my Mom in the hospital (she happened to be in the same one that my
grandma works in and I know just about every doctor and nurse on staff).  I
went down to the cafeteria to get some lunch.  I got a sandwich, chips, water
and cookies.  While I was on my way back up to my mom's room one of the
nurses stopped me and told me that I should be ashamed of what I had done,
because I was going to kill myself.  I had no idea what she was talking about
until later that day when I talked to my grandma and she told me that the
particular nurse and about 10 others had come up to her to tell her that I
was going to die very early because I was "sneaking" food that I was not
allowed to have, like cookies and chips.  When she told me that I was
shocked, I thought nurses were supposed to be educated? Oh well.
    Diagnosed 8-13-93 (age 11)
    Pumping since 7-18-02 w/ my blue Paradigm "Lancelot"