Re: [IP]"Long-term high BGs" was Eating Out (long)

>  I know YMMV but I worry about this much more now that I'm pregnant. I
> hardly had any 200's at all and I worry when I hit 140-180 which doesn't
> too often either. But I worry if I have been up there too long and am
> damage to my growing baby. I'm testing 10-16 times/day.

If you are worrying over 140-160 bgs NOW, you are going to be in a major
panic when third trimester hits.  These readings are GOING to happen.  It is
how you find out your insulin needs have changed.

I always considered myself a "good" diabetic.  I tried to do what was
expected of me.  I was in such a bubble of ignorance though, that what good
was, by your standards, I didn't have a clue.

I checked my sugars about six times a day when pregnant with my first, and
for the life of me couldn't get myself to remember to do so more often than
four with my second.  Both are beautiful and healthy.  My first was even
fairly normal weight, at 8 lbs. 1oz.  And, during that third trimester
(actually the last HALF, with my second), given that my insulin needs were
changing practically daily, I had lots of numbers over 200.

DO NOT worry over your bgs, EVEN if they, perish the thought, hit 300 a time
or two.  These things are bound to happen.  What you look for is excellent
A1c's.  That's all.  Your worry is more likely to cause more harm than your
individual sugars, even if they run high all day a time or two.

When you obsess over a reading over 140 or 180, you are truly missing the
forest for the trees.  You should certainly check and treat when necessary,
but then you just let go of it.  I can't guarantee you will have a healthy
baby.  I've known too many HEALTHY parents who birthed babies with defects
to assure that.  Sometimes, these things are simply out of our hands.  If it
is going to happen, it may well happen, despite all your best efforts.

The better perspective is to do the best you can, and then forget about it.
Worry, when you are powerless to do any more than you already are, given how
frequently you are checking, is more of a problem than the isolated high
readings are.

What I absolutely don't get is how, if you are checking so often, including
within an hour of eating, you are avoiding anything above 140-180.  I would
have thought that would be impossible, without creating a lot of lows in the
process.  Highs after eating are inevitable.  At least that's what I always
understood.  If I check less than two hours after a meal, and get a reading
that low, I wonder if I'd better watch out for a low before too long!

I guess it really is true that YMMV.  Let me tell you about one incident
during my last pregnancy.  I changed my site one evening, and by bed time,
had had good bgs.  I knew the site was fine.  The next morning, when I woke
with something like 236, my assumption was that this was the pregnancy
hormones doing their thing.  I treated and went on.

The problem was that I was contracting every five minutes or so.  At full
term, this is great news.  I was only 32 or 33 weeks.  When it happens that
much, at that stage, it isn't a good sign.  I went to the hospital and was
admitted to be monitored, and hopefully stop the contractions.

They kept going even though I was forcing fluids big time, with no apparent
cause.  (The good news was that the contractions didn't seem to be
progressing anywhere, when they checked my dilation.)  My sugars continued
to run high.  The lowest I reached all day was 166.  (I did check frequently
that day, while in the hospital, because I got lots of reminders to do so.)

It wasn't until late afternoon or early evening, when the readings were
drifting up higher and higher, now about 300, that it occurred to me what
the problem was.  It wasn't pregnancy raising my sugars.  My site was bad.
There I was in the hospital, and they didn't have any infusion sets or
anything there.  All I had with me were back up syringes.  They put me on an
insulin IV.  When my sugars came down, the contractions stopped.  The next
morning, I put on a new site, and they removed the IV.  They kept me until
it was clear the site was good (by my now steady bgs) and sent me home.  My
daughter was born six or seven weeks later, exactly a week before she was

She was healthy as she could possibly be, though she was 9 lbs. 13 oz.!  Due
to problems like that?  Possibly in part.  But my A1c only rose to 6.3 in
the third trimester.  It hovered around 5.3-5.5 during the early part of the
pregnancy.  Even though I ran terribly high for much of a day, she was fine.
And we won't talk about the numerous highs I had on many other occasions
that were truly hormonally induced.  Apparently, they didn't hurt her,

Remember that, next time you are tempted to worry over a 140 bg.  You are
doing great.  There is nothing at all to worry about, whatsoever.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990