Re: [IP] mom cold and uncaring

"jhughey" <email @ redacted> wrote:

>hmmmmmmm - that IS my theory for my IDDM.
>There is no other T-1 in my family. My stepfather had boils and when I was
>three (he held me) I had a boil on my left thumb web (recall it well).
> From that time on for the next 8 years I had boils, sties, and
>carbuncles. They hurt extremely bad - don't think Mom ever had one so she
>had no idea my suffering was so real. I was treated with only Watkins
>Petro Carbo salve and Band-Aids. I fell of my desk seat due to a carbuncle
>on my rearend and couldn't sit on it (very embarassing). I had 5 boils on
>one leg at one time and could hardly walk. I still have pock marks on my
>legs. NO doctor visits, no nothing other than the salve and tapes. They
>DID take the dog to the doctor for not feeling well.

Hmmmmm, there are no other Type 1s in my family except my sister and
myself.  My mother, however, was a "super-mom" long before the term was
ever coined.  She took my sister to doctors over and over and just got the
reply that since my sister was the baby of the family she was quite spoiled
and there was really nothing wrong with her.  Then when my sister was
admitted to the hospital on death's door, they finally diagnosed the
diabetes.  This was back in 1961 and since there was no other diabetes in
the family no one ever suspected that's what was wrong with her.  I was
diagnosed so early before I hardly began showing any symptoms since mom
kept such a close eye on the rest of us kids (she had 6 of us) and if any
of us got sick, the first thing she did was hand us a paper cup to pee
in.  That's how my diabetes was found.  A quick trip to the doctor the next
day and it was confirmed.  Btw, she diligently searched for a doctor after
my sister was diagnosed and found one that specialized in diabetes
care.  So, even families with super-moms can have children diagnosed with
diabetes and no apparent genetic link.

dxd 1963
pumping 2000