[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
  [Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

[IP] Re Diabetic cheiroarthropathy

email @ redacted  writes:
< This is probably going to sound like a really stupid question, but what
< of Dr. do I see about this problem?
< Sherree

It all depends.  You could see a rheumatologist or an orthopedist .   If
cortisone injections work for you, you may be problem free for a long time.
Either specialist can do that.
First I saw an orthopedist and he injected my trigger thumbs with cortisone.
It didn't work so he performed a tendon release in both thumbs and it helped.
A couple of years later more fingers were affected, one middle finger bent
completely and there was a question of whether I also had carpal tunnel
syndrome.  I saw a hand surgeon who opened up my right hand and  opened up all
the tendon sheaths,  checked the carpal tunnel (a neurologist had done a nerve
conduction study first, but it was inconclusive) and found no problem there.
It took several months for the swelling to go down and I had little strength
in my hand  for a long time.  Then the second hand had to be opened in the
same way.    Actually I was relatively problem free after that except when
cold damp weather set in.  That's when the waxy swollen  part came in.
The arthritis part developed much later, at menopause.  I am now 63 years old
so it`s not unusual even for non diabetics. Anti inflammatory meds can be
taken for that but  because I have some albuminuria, I'd rather protect my
kidneys and stick to Acetaminophen  when I really hurt.  YMMV

Good luck!  Stay well.

Denise Guerin
Type 1 48 years
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: