[IP] Re: square wave

>I say graze and bolus, graze and bolus. The purpose - to me - of the
>sq wave
>is to spread out the bolus for high-fat meals - not for grazing.
>make sense to me or is this another thing I need some educating on???

I use square wave for a few things.  Although, a high-fat meal is not
one of them.  Fat plays VERY little part in affecting the length of
time it takes for sugar to enter my system.  Instead, high-fat meals
tend to be high-protein.  Higher protein means that I'll need that
square wave.  Also, there is the affect of glucagon that gets released
by foods with a lot of cheese, etc., such as pizza.  Those, too,
require a square wave.  (IN both the protein and glucagon case, I have
to give ADDITIONAL bolus, not just prolong the bolus for the carbs
already in the food...basically, dual wave, not just square).

I also use the square wave if I'm having a "prolonged" dinner.  For
example, if I go to a nicer restarant (i.e., NOT fast food), then from
the time I order to when I finish my meal, it might take 45 minutes or
so.  Although I basically know what my carbs will be for the meal, I
use the square wave to give my insulin over the course of 30 minutes to
an hour at the time I order.  This then starts to cover the salad,
appetizers and eventually the meal without having to bolus frequently.

Anyhow, I have seen NO evidence that high fat meals slow the digestion
of the glucose in any significant fashion in me.  I do know that ice
cream will take longer than, say, crackers, to get into my blood...but
the delay is probably no more than 10 extra minutes.