[IP] RE: carb counting and coverage boluses.....

<my CDE taught me not to bolus for meat, cheeses and other foods that
supposedly have no carb content.  i was skeptical of this approach since
these foods DO have calories and if eaten in sufficient amounts they can
raise your BG.  i bolus for such foods carefully, but i find that a coverage
bolus is required for them.>

I bolus for cheese because there is one carb per ounce.
I sometimes weigh the cheese on a scale, but I've gotten
pretty good at eye-balling the amount.  I don't bolus for
"pure" protein because the insulin would act faster than
it would take my body to convert the protein to sugar. I
find that my BG's may go up 2-3 hours later, so a
temporary basal for protein usually works.  And what I
mean by "pure" protein, is meat I've prepared at home
myself.  Most deli meats can contain anywhere from 1-2
carbs per ounce/slice (read labels), so I bolus for those
like I do cheese.  Nuts also contain carbs, so you need
to know which nuts contain how many because they vary.
Because they will take longer to affect my BG's due to
the fat/protein content, I find that doing a SquareWave
Bolus works for those, although, if I haven't eaten in a
while and don't have time, I won't need to do any extra
insulin at all for a small snack of nuts (usually almonds).
Eggs also contain one carb gram each, and I bolus for
those too.