[IP] Re: Who looks after you?

Barb, I have been diabetic for 29 years and my daughter was diagnosed last
Nov. at age 18, her 1st semester of college, so I can relate to both sides.
The night before my daughter was diagnosed, I knew how sick she was but
thought (hoped) maybe it was a virus and not diabetes.  It was very difficult
as a parent just knowing she was sick and I couldn't help her.  Now that she
is diabetic, I have more things to worry about.  Luckily she is very mature
and for the most part is making very good choices.  I try to only give her
advice when she asks and have emphasized that she needs to be the one making
the decisions.  And especially while she is getting used to it, needs to
always be aware of how she is feeling and be able to take care of herself.  Of
course since she was technically an adult when she was diagnosed that means
that she is technically in charge of her medical care.  Also I have not gone
through her childhood with this or a period of time when I would have had to
be totally in charge of her care and that would perhaps make it hard to let
and let her be in charge.  That doesn't mean that I don't worry.  She is a
sound sleeper as well.
My friend asked if it isn't easier knowing I got through college OK, but
sometimes I feel that I was just lucky.  Of course that was on one shot a day
and no BS testing.  I have always been somewhat cautious of how much insulin I
take and more concerned about lows than highs.  When I first got divorced, I
asked my doctor what I should do since I was with my then 7 year old daughter
and sometimes by myself.  He told me that is a problem and he didn't know what
I could do about it.  That was not exactly what I wanted to hear! Of course
then I had to laugh at myself since my ex was an alcoholic and sound sleeper
and would not have woken up if I was murdered next to him!  Luckily I have
always woken up with lows.  Over the past 5 years I have become more fearful
of not waking up with a low and did have some trouble with hypo-unawareness
(seems to be better on Novolog) so I usually wake during the night and test.
If I don't feel well I try to get up more frequently.  I am more cautious
about doing corrections and raising basals at night.

Age 45, Type 1 - 29 years, pumping 3 1/2 years
and daughter Melinda - age 18, Type 1 - 3 months  MDI
(please excuse any grammer errors!)