Re: [IP] Who looks after you?

It's been my experience that as childhood diabetes progresses(?) into
the adult form of Type 1, things become a lot more stable. Not stable,
but more stable. I was dx in 1942 at age 10. For 45 years (since 1957) I
have lived alone. I can't say that I recommend it, but I have survived.
I went to college away from home, but that was so long ago that I think
it would be a mistake to try and compare that experience with what a
diabetic going to college has to deal with today. When Erica reaches
adulthood she will have learned how to take care of herself (because you
will have taught her). And I have found that as an adult I don't get
sick nearly as often as I did as a child.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 19:43:55 -0400, Barb wrote:
 >If it were not for my husband and I checking her bgs >constantly, Erica
 >have been in deep trouble with the high temp basal when her bg's dropped
 >drastically in the middle of the night.  We knew it was a possibility,
 >were prepared for it, but what if she were an adult, living alone, in
 >same situation??  I knew where to put my hands on glucagon, how much to
 >give her, & there was a bottle of glucose tabs beside our bed. Erica
was on >the floor beside us on a bed of blankets being monitored all

 >Highly elevated sugars c/w ketones must be so difficult to handle if
you >are living on your own, particularly through the night.  Can I ask
how some >of you would handle this situation? You do have to sleep, so
do you ride >out the high sugars at night and use extra boluses to bring
down the highs? >They can backfire too. What about ketones? If you were
on a high temp basal >during the day would you discontinue it while you
slept?  Do you set a very >loud alarm clock and test yourself constantly
through the night? I have a >friend who would have someone call him at
certain times to make sure he was >awake. Erica could sleep through a
fire alarm if she were tired enough, >which she certainly was Thursday
night/Fri morning when things were at >their worst.

 >I don't think we will let her move out of the house ......ever!!<g>
When >she goes to University it will have to be locally so she could
come home or  >I could move into residence with her when she was sick.
Oh my, wouldn't >she love that!