Re: [IP] Re: Anyone had a problem with humalog not working

> > From: "Sharon Brousseau" <email @ redacted>
> > <snip> I was told not to do Novalog because
> > it was too much like regular insulin. The half life's of regular played
> major
> > low blood sugar trips on me. <snip>
> I was waiting for someone to respond to this point, and haven't seen
> one yet. I wonder who said Novolog was too much like regular?
> Novolog is made by NovoNordisk and so is Velosulin - which IS
> regular insulin. Did they get the two confused? Novolog is extremely
> similar to Humalog, but with a different something or other in the
> *analog chain*. Wonder if Michael can pick up on this one?
Neither Humalog nor Novolog are true insulins, they are insulin
analogs. They differ in that both have certain amino acids modified or
switched in their molecular chains. In Humalog, the amino acids in
positions 28 and 29 on the insulin B-chain are reversed. In Novolog, a
single substitution of the amino acid proline with aspartic acid is
made at position 28 in the insulin B-chain.

The activity curves for Novolog and Humalog are very similar. You can
view both curves on the LINKS page of the web site. There is a link
to each curve next to the picture of the bottle of the respective