[IP] Re: A New Pumper

>>> I agree that a lot depends on your genes (if not most), but I myself
stories like this because it gives me hope, especially on days when I feel
When I was diagnosed almost a year ago, I thought I was given a death
sentence. I've since learned I wasn't, and I find it very inspiring to know
of people who have lived so long, and complication- free with this disease.
I think some days that's all that gets us through - hope. I don't hold out
much hope for a cure, but I hope I'll live a long time with good quality of

This reminds me of my identical twin friend and her sister who, about 17
years ago received the first 50-yr medal from Joslin for identical twins.
There was a writeup in the newspaper and Obera received a call from a lady
whose 38 y/o bf died of complications. She tore her up and down with stuff
like: How dare you be happy over something like this, yada yada yada!!

I compare it to our monthly Vows section in our paper. There are
engagements, weddings, and anniversaries starting with 25 years increasing
in 5-year segments. Those with 50 years or more of marriage get to have a
picture included. Now, there are marriages that end in divorce or premature
death before their 50th anniversary, but those who make it celebrate. That
isn't a put-down of those who didn't make it, or a nya-nya-nya at

If someone can survive 75 years of this disease, it's out of my hands
anyway. I attribute my longevity to genes and the Lord. He's responsible for
my being and demise anyway. With the family history of 7 fatal heart attacks
(2 of 49 y/o uncles) and a maternal g'father with decades of angina (which I
also have), and my 6 heart blockages, I don't know why I'm still here. I
have no idea my BG control other than terrible since I had one shot a day
for 31 yrs of NPH/Reg and 2 yrs of 2 shots a day. I didn't learn to utilize
my pump properly until 3.5 yrs ago when I got on the 'net.

I do hope little Mary Cole (then 8 y/o) who came to my BASH got tons of hope
seeing 188 years of DM represented in the 7 pumpers pictured there -
including her. (~_^)

Dialyzing since 7/8/02

We can live with the word *incurable,* but we cannot live without the word