Re: [IP] Re: very low basal rate question

In a message dated 2/28/2002 6:50:26 AM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Suppose you have a very low
>  basal rate of 3 units per day (30 lb child).  Would the Mini-Med deliver
>  unit every 50 minutes or so and the Animas could deliver .05 units every
>  minutes?  Can they be set up like this even though they are able to
>  more often?

That is the lowest total daily basal rate I've come across so far . . .
assuming a flat basal rate around the clock that's the mathematical
equivalent of .125 unit per hour (and none of the pumps currently available
deliver in 5 thousandths of a unit per hour increments).  Practically
speaking, as you are testing basals for your child, you're likely to find
that you're likely to need higher than that at some times of the day and less
than that -- even zero basals -- at other times of the day (and, yes, pumps
can do zero basals for even several hours at a time).  You also might find
that for such a small child it makes sense to dilute the insulin that goes
into the cartridge so that you can more finely tune both your basal rates and
your boluses (to cover carbs and make corrections to high BG readings).

I'm not certain how MM & Disetronic pumps do their basals, but with Animas
you can set up to 12 different basal rates in a 24 hour period ( for one
basal "profile" or "program".  The Animas pump lets you store up to four
basal profiles at a time in the pump.  For example, my daughter (age 11) has
her "regular" basal profile, one for weekends (when she's going to sleep in
late), and one for sleepovers.  It's very easy to switch over from one basal
profile to another.  You can also do a temporary basal by percentage (either
up or down)  that we use a lot to avoid lows from exercise or other periods
of heavy physical activity.

Each basal rate with a basal profile begins at a specified time of day and is
defined in Units per hour (and can range from 0.0 units per hour up to 9.9
units in .05 unit increments).  The pump then takes whatever the hourly basal
rate that is in effect, divides it by 20 and delivers that amount every three
minutes (it may not be *exactly* this way, this is only my layperson's

For example, a basal profile for your child could look something like this:

Midnight to 3 am  .00 units per hour   ( 0 units over 3 hours)
3 am to 6 am       .05 units per hour   ( 0.15 units over 3 hours)
6 am to 12 noon   .25 units per hour   ( 1.5 units over 6 hours)
noon to  3 pm       .20 unit per hour     ( 0.6 units over 3 hours)
3 pm to 6 pm        .15 units per hour   (.45 units over 3 hours)
6 pm to Midnight   .05 units per hour    (.3 units over 6 houts)

** and each of the "units per hour" rates would have 1/20th of that amount
delivered every 3 minutes during each hour. . .

I hope this helps clarify how basals can work, at least on an Animas pump.

Pumpmama to Katie