Re: [IP] Re: The occulsion threshold for Animas pump

Marion-
    I have been on the Animas Pump since December 17, 2001. In that time, I have had only 2 occlusion alarms. Both of these involved sets which became clogged. In each case, as near as I can tell, I lost no more than 2 units on my  basal dose. One of the Animas features is a running history of dosage delivered in a given day. That way ,if it does occlude, it is easy to check and see how much has been given, and then compensate accordingly.
    In addition, the Animas is completely menu driven. Setup and operation is extremely  easy. You simply select the feature you need from a menu and click on it, much as with a computer. While there is no specific number of units to trigger the alarm, you can select either a high or low threshhold for occlusion alarms, as well as empty cartridge warnings, and several other features. This "customizeable" setup was one of the primary reasons I selected the Animas. I
understand that the Paradigm is supposed to be at least partially menu-driven. I rejected this pump due to the 1/2 size reservoir, and the specialized infusion set required. If you have any questions, please write back, either on, or off list. If you have any technical questions, I have found the Animas folks, especially Audrey Finkelstein, director of clinical development, friendly and helpful. Good luck, and hang in there - It will work out.

Mike Nolan