Re: [IP] Pumping and basals.

> I do not see a safety net for the pump yet; he is now carrying an
> insulin pen and a meter everywhere whereas before he could go with
> just tablets for many hours.  I simply don't believe (yet) that he
> is safe enough from DKA with full pumping and lack of basal insulin.

There are three components required for DKA

high bg's
dehydration
ketones

If someone is not already ill or dehydrated for some other reason,
DKA normally will not occur for quite a long time in the absence of
insulin. There are usually plenty of warning signs. I suggest you
talk with your CDE about the symptoms and progression of DKA in order
to have a better understanding and allay your fears.

Michael