[IP] GI Diet (was: No Mashed Potatoes???)

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:50:20 EST
From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] GI Diet (was: No Mashed Potatoes???)
Gabe is fully diabetic since age 9; he is 12.5; last HBA1C were 6, 6.2
(illness), 5.9 and 5.8 (two weeks ago).  He takes 3-5 shots of Ultralente
(mixed with Humalog if the timing of the Ultralente is at mealtime) and
Humalog for meals.  He doesn't snack, except very, very low carb items or if
b.g. is very low or if he injects.
We tried the pump this week and it was a disaster; 7 sets in less than 7
I am not sure if we will continue to try it; I have to think about it.
The pump is a sort of freedom from shots and more b.g. checks.
The shots are less pleasant and less flexible, but less dangerous and less
b.g checks.  Without the pump today, Gabe was able to be gone all day
worry.  His only equipment was glucose tabs.
I am still processing and pondering whether to proceed with the pump.  His
Paradigm should be here this week.

I hope it works out with the pump for you and your son.  It sure seems like
you are both doing well with his diet and requirements to achieve the good

Did you end up finding out why he was having a problem with the sites?
I think many people would be scared of the pump at first particularly if
problems occur straight away, it is just so different at first but believe
me it does get better as you get adjusted to it.

I have such admiration for parents of diabetic children, it is hard enough
to manage the disease when you are the one with it but to manage someone
else's must be extremely challenging ..

Type 1, 11 years
Pumper, 9 months