RE: [IP] Islet Cell Transplantation

Jana Church [mailto:email @ redacted] forwarded this announcement:

>  CDA asked me to pass this along in case our members know any
> potential
>  candidates who may be interested in taking part in the
> study.  Neala thinks
> there may be opportunities for candidates outside of the
> Vancover area and
> across the country.
> Subject: Islet Cell Transplantation
> Please circulate the following press release.

While I support all research that will assist in ending this damned disease,
I find this announcement somewhat disturbing.  It starts with the line:

but it isn't until later in the announcement that one reads:

	"Islet cell transplantations aren't a cure for Type 1
	diabetes,"  continued Dr David M. Thompson.

The announcement does contain the disclosure that transplant patients will
need to take immunosuppressive drugs for the remainder of their lives, and
that in itself carries significant (my word) risk.

Other parts of the announcement make it clear that this is a research
project, not a treatment regimen.

I'm pretty sure that any of CDC's IRBs would require the removal of the
"CURE! . . ." line.

Because of the nature of this post, I'm using my "official" work sig.

James Handsfield, PhD (Cand.), MPH
Division of Laboratory Systems
Public Health Practice Program Office
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
email @ redacted / (770)488-8106