Re: [IP] Pumping and basals.

In a message dated 2/26/2002 8:07:56 PM Pacific Standard Time, email @ redacted

> learning curve and it takes months to learn it well enough to solve your
> problems and make effective use of the pump. It will not come overnight no
> matter what your IQ or Gabes IQ is. It is not a matter of your IQ it is
> tough to learn. don't start mixing different insulins such as lantus and
> humulog, its ok if you want to inject insulin several times a day but the
> pump is supposed to eliminate the need for that. You dont have diabetes,
> your son does and it's wrong to insert your feelings between your son and
> the pump; taking multiple injections sucks. I know spot

My son's health and well being are my responsibility and he needs to take
guidance from me.  I don't have diabetes, but I manage his with his help and
cooperation.  If I tell him he is taking two shots, then he will take two
shots if I feel his safety is involved.  I am the parent and he is the child,
even though it is his disease.

I do not see a safety net for the pump yet; he is now carrying an insulin pen
and a meter everywhere whereas before he could go with just tablets for many
hours.  I simply don't believe (yet) that he is safe enough from DKA with
full pumping and lack of basal insulin.

But I have literally no experience, so I am only expressing fears and
concerns and not facts.