Re: [IP] pump comparison

Laura Lillie wrote:
> Karen wrote:
> I'd like to get some opinions on the different brands of pumps...Since my
> daughter is on just 17 units a day, the Animas rep has told me that being
> able to adjust her basal by .05 increments would be good.  The other
> companies claim, for various reasons, that it doesn't make a difference.  I
> prefer a lot of the features on the Paradigm, but if the Animas would give
> us better control, I'd go with the Animas.  Has anyone switched from a
> Minimed pump to an Animas and noticed a difference in control?
> ------------------------------
With the MiniMed it is possible to also achieve .05 increments.  You
need to dilute the insulin.  Mary was 7 when she started pumping and her
average total dose was l3 units a day.  Small amounts of insulin made a
big difference. She used diluted insulin for about l l/2 years.  She is
now 9, has gainned about l2 pounds and is eating about 45 g. of
carbohydrate more a day.  Her average daily total is now about 2l units
a day.  I no longer dilute her insulin.  I know that I can give her a
bolus for what she eats in .l increments.  This accuracy is much better
than it is humanly possible to give insulin by injection.

In my opinion, pumping is so much better than MDI.  Each pump has its
own advantages and disadvantages.  In another 5 years, the pumps that we
are using today will be improved and have different features.