Re: [IP] Discrimination?

  Having been chair of the board of a not-for-profit church related
preschool, I would like to offer another perspective. I expect the
director's response is out of ignorance and fear, not discrimination.
She / he may have misinformation of the needs of a diabetic child or may
have had a bad experience with a diabetic relative or acquaintance.

I understand, as the parent of a child with diabetes and as an active
church member, how horribly disappointing and upsetting this must be.
But I hope you can learn and understand where the director is coming
from. Then you can calmly re-educate. Try to approach the director
calmly with questions, such as "why do you think this will be a
problem?" or "could I arrange for some basic diabetes training for the
staff?" I think your offer of being on the premises was a good one and I
would ask her why that is not acceptable.

If the director is still unwilling to negotiate, then I would go to her
board of directors. If that isn't effective, then I would go talk to the

I agree that your child should be allowed to attend. However, I'm not
sure that a not-for-profit church related preschool falls under the same
laws as a public school. Most importantly, you are more likely to get
what you want if you negotiate rather than threaten law suit.