Re: [IP] Blood Glucose Test strips--other purposes?

On 25 Feb 2002 at 17:07, email @ redacted wrote:

> Thought that I would write and ask all the collected wisdom here what they
> knew about this.
>     I recently moved to a new province where pharmaceutical prescriptions are
> partly covered by a government insurance plan.  After our 3 month waiting
> period was over, I got an RX from a GP doctor (still waiting to see new Endo
> and new Paediatrician) and went last week to get Claire's bg test strips and
> insulin refilled.  After I paid $500 for her test strips, the pharmacist said,
> "Oh by the way, these strips aren't counted toward your deductible because you
> haven't given us a certificate showing that you were trained in how to use
> them.  And if you do later get this certificate it can't be applied
> retroactively."
>      When I phoned the gov't office to complain about this, the guy said that
> this training was necessary because people can use bg test strips for all
> sorts of purposes.  He said something about bg test strips being able to test
> heroin and other drugs, etc.  Well I have never heard of this and thought I
> would ask you guys what you know.   Thanks for any input Barbara, Mum of
> Claire

I think it is a ludricous government dodge.  It is true that illegal drugs such as heroin, cocaine and ampetamines are "cut" with different sugars to increase the dealers profit.
 But that a glucometer would be of any use in  such "commerce" is not even worthy of a laugh.  Sure it would tell you a relative level of glucose, but could mean nothing to a
dealer.  You can't be reimbursed for this medical expense because you would be dumb enough to test for glucose but not for the potency of the drug that you supposedly
sold.  What an insult of intelligence and beggarly way to misdirect responsibility.   Phooey!!