[IP] Re: Sil Set

It's really very simple to insert a silhouette (Comfort, Tender-- all the
same).  We never used an inserter (of course, since it just came out!) and
never had any problems.  My daughter is now 12 but began pumping at age 8.
She used sil exclusively the first 3 years and usually put them in herself.
We never used Emala or ice---- She just did it.  She preps with alcohol (I
know it can be drying, but works for her) and then follow with Skin-Prep.  We
never used extra tapes with the Sil.  In the 3 years she used them I think we
had about 3 fall out.  One time it happened when she was hanging by her knees
on the monkey bars and her pump fell out of her pocket!  I don't really
remember any kinks in the catheter or any other problems.  We do put them by
pinching the skin and then using a deliberate, quick motion.  The suggested
angle is 30 degrees but we probably used a lesser angle.  She used them in
her abdominal area and her buttocks/hip area.  The example of inserting them
like a "plane coming in for a landing" has always seemed like a good
description to me.
       She has been using the Soft-sets (short tubing and micros) since last
July and they work well for her, too.  She likes the inserter and finds it
easier to put them in her backside area with the inserter.  She uses just the
tape provided and that has been sufficient.  She has had one site fall out
since starting with them in July, a couple kinks in catheter after a day or
two,  once a connector broke, and once the needle bent as it was being
inserted and made it impossible to pull needle out so had to remove whole
set.  I mention these only to let you know that we have had very few problems
with these sets.  Even these few problems were easily corrected and no big
       So should you use an inserter with the sil?  If it makes it easier for
you, ask for one.  But it may just complicater an already simple insertion