Re: [IP] Re: Diabetic Women are Often Poor

At 10:21 AM 2/24/02 -0500, you wrote:
 >I just wanted to vent.  Do any of you have AOL?  I was just going through
 >AOL's Health News & More and found a very offensive article regarding
 >diabetic women.  The article claims that "Women with diabetes are twice as
 >likely to be poor or undereducated as those without the disease."  The
 >article does not decipher which form of diabetes but just diabetes in
 >general.  As a woman and a college educated one, I take offense to that
 >article!  Just wanted to vent.

Why would you take offense?  The article didn't say that women with
diabetes could NOT be smart or educated, did it?

The article is most likely based on a study recently published by the CDC
that you can find at http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5107a3.htm

The point is that women with a lower socioeconomic status are at higher
risk for developing diabetes.  The health care systems has to try harder to
reach and help them.