Re: [IP] Type II and RD's

C'mon Roxanne, you're getting PAID good money to educate Type 2's!!!!!! It's
unethical to just say "I gave them a handout with the basics, and goodbye!"

If a person comes in with an attitude of denial, then maybe you need to work
on their emotional state first -- most of them come in with the knowledge
that a relative went blind or had feet amputated, or died early from
diabetes, and most think that there is really NO hope. They are overwhelmed
and shocked and probably believed it would never happen to them. They may be
too stressed to even hear your words and may need to proceed in baby steps.

*I* have no sympathy for an RD who neglects a patient because, perhaps, they
feel that the patient brought the disease on themself, or it could have been
prevented. As a Type 1, you DON'T know what many of these people have gone
through as far as fruitless efforts at weight loss, comorbidities that make
exercise painful, and total loss of hope. You're not starting with a blank
slate; you're starting with a real human being who has a history, and much
of it has NOT been pleasant!

I'm a high school teacher, and I KNOW that the ones that are most reluctant
are the ones who need the MOST TLC, not a quick boot to the rear. You don't
succeed with all of them, but I have made of difference in MANY kids' lives
just by continuing to work with them in spite of unpretty behavior and

And just for the personal part -- I went to an RD BEFORE I was diagnosed
because I knew something was wrong (my cholesterol had gone up) -- she
didn't just give me a handout -- she made another appointment for a few
weeks hence to talk about it, and see how I was doing, and she treated me
with respect and kindness, and I'll never forget her!

Natalie ._c-