Re: [IP] Type II and RD's

First, to all, we hope this isn't too far OT, but we think further info
beyond the original "no mashed potatoes" post is pertinent at this point in
Roxanne, we do agree that there are some (heck, maybe many) Type 2's (and
even some Type 1's) who may not have led healthy lifestyles and who will
have difficulty at best, if at all, modifying their lives to control the
diabetes.  For some (we know a few) it takes a while for them to understand
and accept they are responsible for themselves, then to start doing what's
best for them.  And for that, the patients have the responsibility, not
professional healthcare persons.  Given that my former profession was as a
social worker, I know both sides of the patients/healthcare professionals
situation, and all the frustrations both sides experience (have some tales
about "good/not so good" dieticians, "compliant/non-compliant" clients, too,
but I would never judge your profession or all clients by those
However, I feel you should know that in our friend's case (the one about
whom I did the post about "no mashed potatoes?") an RD told her she can't
eat mashed potatoes any more-but can have baked/boiled, just told her, "You
can't,"  when she asked why.  That's why I'd done the post about it here.
Our friend's doctor hadn't even mentioned home glucose monitoring or going
to a dietician/ nutritionist, just gave her a pre-printed "Daily Meal
Planning Guide and Exchange List" (which BTW does have 1/2 C of mashed
potatoes listed as a "starch exchange") with exchanges totalling 1200
calories (!).
Our friend purchased her own glucose monitor and supplies, sought out and
made the appointment for herself with a dietician who could see her ASAP, is
paying out of pocket in interest of doing the best she can to control her
glucose levels.
For our friend, the issue of no mashed potatoes is a biggie, but all her
friends know there are other more important concerns at this point.  3
months ago her FBS was only 102---.  FBS and A1c done 3 days prior to
starting Glucophage were 307 and 6.4 respectively.  She goes to the gym 3-5x
wkly, walks, doesn't use alcohol or smoke, has always tried to eat a low Na,
low fat, balanced diet with lots of veggies (no fats on), fresh fruit,
rarely has red meat, sticks with mainly plain broiled chicken/fish (from
dropping in on her often unexpectedly, being out with/over to her house for
dinner, etc., seems she might have been taking in 1800-2000 cals/da).  Have
never found/seen sweets in her home.
 Our friend now is weighing and measuring every bit of food she eats.  She
now has been on Glucophage for about 10 days, glucose readings decreasing
steadily and often now dropping into the high 50's-low 60's, never going
above 95.  Her MD never even gave her a range for blood sugar levels, and
several of us friends are trying to have her see that maybe she's beginning
to run a bit low sometimes.  She has lost about 8 lbs since starting
Glucophage (she had been about 5 lbs overweight-had weighed the same for 20+
years).  She has agreed to contact her MD, and several of us friends have
suggested strongly linking with an endo.  She is very afraid of
"complications" like "losing a leg, going blind."  We friends are very
concerned about hypos, and confirmation that there are no other medical
conditions developing.
So guess the small little question for you as a " Registered and Licensed
Dietitian" is why was she told she can't she have mashed potatoes?  When she
makes them, she uses some of the water in which the potates cooked, some
pepper, no fat of any kind, and she told the dietician this.  How would this
differ from taking boiled/ baked potatoes, and mashing them up on the plate?
Thank you,
Marj; Mike (I'm not into computers, but glad to be on this list); and "Ace,
the PP" (portable pancreas)