[IP] Re: No Mashed Potatoes???

> Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 21:22:12 EST
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] No Mashed Potatoes???
> High in carbs but moderately glycemic.
> Can be dosed with Humalog if weighed and dosed taking into account the
glycemic value.
> Marion

potatoes are high GI value, although I have found my sugars sometimes have
dropped low after mashed spuds, I was told this is because the starch value
is higher when they are cooked longer causing the merry go round  of high
then low.  Sweet potatoes are the ones to eat with a low GI index.  They
will keep you on a constant level.
1 peeled, boiled potato GI factor of 88
1 peeled, boiled sweet potato GI factor of 54

Another suprise is fruit loaf with the same low GI factor as muti grain
bread, 54

I am type 1 but I can see how the GI would help type 2 diabetics manage
their levels but also have a variety of foods to choose from.