[IP] Re: Age When Diagnosed?

This came up on the list a while back and I like reading the stories the
question generates. After reading Katherine's, I feel really lucky.
My story could have easily mirrored Katherine's, but I had a very diligent
endo and good insurance that led to my diagnoses at 21, a day after my
birthday and after three weeks of trying to figure out what was going on. I
had no symptoms but during a routine physical at my college health center was
shown to be spilling sugar in urine and blood test showed BG of
300-something. I went immediately to my regular doctor, who said I was
diabetic, gave me some insulin and referred me to an endo. I had an extreme
lows from the insulin and the endo ordered me to simply check my sugars for a
while and avoid high-carb foods and concentrated sugars. BGs would go up
sometimes, but always would return to normal eventually. He thought I had
stress hyperglycemia brought on by college pressures. After more testing and
time, he diagnosed Type I.
I later had another endo that took me off of insulin and put me on oral meds.
At this point I had been diabetic about two years. My BGs were stabilized
unless I ate. He put me back on insulin after a few days. It scares me to
think of that now. I was obviously still in the honeymoon stage and producing
some insulin on my own.
Although another person mentioned that this list leads them to believe it is
not uncommon to be diagnosed Type I in 20s and older, it really is. It's just
the concentration of diabetics on this list that makes it seem more common.
dxed IDDM 9/92, pumped 1/10/02