Re: [IP] No Mashed Potatoes???

In a message dated 2/23/02 9:24:12 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I wouldn't eat mashed potatoes if I were Type II trying to stay off
insulin; my previous message assumes that the person is using insulin.
 The potatoes will spike b.g., even with glucophage, and cause the pancreas
to work harder and possibly burn out sooner. >>

Glucophage increases insulin sensitivity and slows down carb absorption.
There is no problem with any "type" eating whatever they want as long as the
portions are adjusted accordingly. The person may want to measure out a
portion, test before eating and two hours after eating to ascertain
individual response. That applies to any food, not just mashed potatoes.

I don't often eat mashed potatoes because they're overly processed, and many
overly processed foods spike my BGs higher, but that's me. If I like a food,
I am going to eat it. I just don't care enough for mashed potatoes to want to
eat them often. However, I do on occasion -- especially with ancho mashed in,
or maybe bleu cheese mashed in. Same thing with bananas (sans ancho or bleu
cheese <g>).

Jan and Elvis