In a message dated 2/22/2002 8:49:58 AM Mountain Standard Time, email @ redacted

> When my pump arrived, he gave me the box, the video, a book on
>  carb counting and told me to be sure to watch the video before hooking
>  up the pump. That was the extent of my training! Scary, isn't it?

SHEESH! . . . But at least your doc had some excuse (no other pump patiets --
tough yo'd think that he or his nurse would have wnated to learn a little bit
along with you) -- Marion & Gabe got their "training" (such as it was) for a
practice that has HUNDREDS of kids on pumps, so you'd think they'd have
pretty good training put together by now .  .  .

It's these kind of problems that make me believe in saline trials.  If I were
an adult pumper, I don't know that I'd have had the patience for one, but I
do think that it has the potential to help set people up for great success
when they start pumping insulin.  It really was nice to have all the pump
logistics (insertions, how to make sets stick without causing a rash, filling
a cartridge without a bunch of bubbles, etc.) all worked out before my
daughter started pumping insulin . . . I know it can work out well either
way, but think that a saline trial does help improve the overall odds .. .

Pumpmama to Katie