[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #128

> I can't even imagine sets just falling out like this . . . It's just never
> happened, ever, in the nine months that Katie's been using the Quick Sets.
> After you put the set in the inserter, did you remove the paper backing that
> protects the adhesive that's on the white cloth "tape" (that's attached to
> the plastic hub & cannula)?  We always do that after the sets in the inserter
> but before we remove the needle guard and "cock" the inserter . . .
> SInce you had the same problem with the Sof-sets(with the set "just falling
> out" right after insertion), I'm thinking you guys really need to get some
> more hands-on, face-to-face help from a qualified pump  trainer or at least
> from an experienced pumper for these set insertions . . . Frankly, I'm a
> little surprised at how they just turned you guys loose with as little
> training and support as it seems like you've had -- you deserved better .  .
> .
> Lyndy
> Pumpmama to Katie

 I think you would be really surprised at how some people are not being
educated before being put on a pump. I live in North Pole, Alaska. The
nearest city is Fairbanks. There are no endocronologists in Fairbanks.
My doctor (internal medicine) had no other pump patients. I was his
first. When my pump arrived, he gave me the box, the video, a book on
carb counting and told me to be sure to watch the video before hooking
up the pump. That was the extent of my training! Scary, isn't it?

Karen in North Pole, AK
Dx'd 1971
Pumping since 1996