Re: [IP] Age When Diagnosed?

I thought I was something of an oddity being diagnosed type 1 in my
twenties, but I have seen several people on this list diagnosed beyond their
twentieth birthday.  Is it really that common?

Kelly   <snip>

This is my story:

During the winter of '85, I developed a bad case of laryngitis and sore
throat. I sucked on throat losenges for the soreness and really kicked by BS
First DX:  stress diabetes - control diet and exercise.  I was 29 y/o.

In the spring of '86, I moved across the country from Rochester, NY to Santa
Fe, NM and noticed that I was losing weight (and could afford to) without
dieting, thirsty all the time, and up several tmes a night to pee.
Second DX:  Type 2 DM - onto oral meds, then within 3 years, insulin and no
oral meds.  I was 31 y/o (barely).

In the fall of '96, I had a 24 hour fever for no apparent reason.  My sugars
went wild (high) and I began regular insulin therapy.  Third DX:  Type 1 DM.
I was 41 y/o.

I started pumping last May @ age 45.  Now I just need to get rid of the 100 #
that MDI helped me acquire.

Katherine Nelson & MyHope (the pump)