[IP] Glucagon Kit

>> Hi Brenda!!
>> What insurance do you have? I'm in NY and I have Aetna. They just
>> refuse to pay!!

> NY enacted a law requiring that insurance companies pay for diabetes
> supplies and education in 1993. You will have to check the details of
> the law, but I suspect that payment is required.
> Michael
> email @ redacted

You are correct, Michael.  I have, on the letterhead, 'The Assembly - State
of New York', a document entitled "Coverage Under New York's Diabetes
Insurance Mandate".  Under the heading "What is Covered?", among other
items, it specifically mentions all insulin preparations, Glucagon,
syringes, & injection aids.  It concludes the somewhat lengthy list with
"All other services, supplies or equipment certified as appropriate by the
Commissioner of the New York State Department of Health.

By the way, I was recently denied coverage for pump batteries, which is also
covered under the mandate.  I spoke with my HMO and they want a letter from
my doctor stating that the batteries are necessary for he pump.  As far as I
am concerned this is harassment.  The insurance industry just wants us to
force them to obey the law.  Those of us who do not go to the trouble means
extra dollars for them.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MiniMed 507 - 1998