Re: [IP] potassium intake ?

>>>When you lose too much kidney function, they will not remove potassium as
efficently and it builds up in your system. This can
cause a whole host of other problems if not dealt with. Usually a low
potassium diet solves the problem. I don't recall exactly when it
becomes an issue (Jan or a doc??...) but I think it is around 20 - 25%
residual function remaining.

As soon as I saw my first kidneyologist my potassium levels were watched -
that was 35%. I don't know when it becomes an issue, but it is a great
indicator and if one can get help, let's say at 80% from a neph, then it may
never become an issue. I'd be careful of restricting P when that may also
cause problems. The lab test tells the true story. My mom has low P and was
in the ER twice with potassium I.V.s. One of her problems is, she was to
take 4 pills a day and when felt better, quit. (~_^)

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning. -Catherine Aird-