Re: [IP] Making a difference

>I would like to know if anyone out there knows of any way I might be >able
>to get involved, I guess you would say "politically" in helping
>to organize any kind of group or organization that would help
>I know it sounds corny, but I'd really like to make a difference or an
>impact in the lives of my fellow diabetics. I live in New York and I'm
>27. I really will do anything I can to help, or make life a little
>easier to live, in any way I can.

I've thought about this for a while myself, in terms of advocating for more
awareness, money for cure research, and getting companies for focus on a
*cure*, rather than so much on maintenance.  (Don't get me wrong, the
maintenance stuff is great, but I'd rather see some it go toward a cure.)

Does anyone have any ideas why diabetes is considered an "inconvenience"
rather than a "disease"?  Why is it so difficult to get people to understand
what having diabetes entails, on a day to day basis?