Re: [IP] potassium intake ?

>>>Jan I noticed that you made a comment about monitoring your potassium
I am on ACE inhibitors too, almost a year now. I am taking 100 mg of Cozaar.
am not feeling 'right' lately, my heart beats funny, my legs and arms are
tingly, I just feel 'off'. I read that potassium levels need to be
Yet I have never had a blood test for it. How were you feeling when your
levels were up? I only have one good kidney and started spilling protein.

This is part of what a nephrologist does - knowing the importance of
checking the P. level. They want you in the normal range because of the
severity of it. Endos don't get into all this stuff. I have a major lab test
(about 3 tubes drawn) every 2-3 mos. depending on my next app't with
kidneyologist. Since I'm not peeing out the toxins sufficiently, they stay
in my body. I have been able to stay in the normal range by carefully
watching the intake of higher P. foods. I have a list of foods with their
amounts and I believe Michael has it somewhere on IP. I can send it to you
privately if you wish (email @ redacted ). My last test was a little higher
out of range and I blamed Wal-Mart and their free display of grape tomatoes.
I got hooked on them! I love Tropican Grovestand orange juice and limit
myself to the times I have to have something quick and it's handy (for my
hugsband). I have not *yet* been able to give up my beloved mashed potatoes.

But, like I said, so far, except for the last test, I have managed to stay
in the normal range. If it quickly rises, I gather, that no matter the
function you go on dialysis immediately. It can be serious.

If your endo will not order the test, get yourself a nephrologist ASAP. It's
your only life and you go around only once. Nip it in the bud. This could be
a reason many DMers have heart attacks. (~_^)

BTW, I believe Cozaar is an ARB not an ACE. I'm on 150 mg of that one,
besides 10 mg. Norvasc, and 16 mg. Cardura. My BP is still too high.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.