[IP] frustrated, horrible, inconsistant numbers

My 11 yr old son (pre-pubescent) has had a pump for 3 yrs.  Lately his
numbers have been horrible, highs, lows, inconsistant.  I can't even get two
days of basal testing to be the same.  I have taken to making him eat only
food he has an exact carb value for, even measuring peanut butter for his
toast.  It is frustrating me no end.  Any suggestions?  I feel like I am at
square one.  And how often do most people change basal rates?  Feels like if
I am finally getting decent numbers for a week or two, they go bad again,
and I have to modify AGAIN.  Suggestions would be appreciated.  Kathy