[IP] Making a difference

I would like to know if anyone out there knows of any way I might be able to get involved, I guess you would say "politically" in helping to organize any kind of group or organization that would help diabetics??
I know it sounds corny, but I'd really like to make a difference or an impact in the lives of my fellow diabetics. I live in New York and I'm 27. I really will do anything I can to help, or make life a little easier to live, in any way I can.
Thank you, and I look forward to any and all ideas!!