re: [IP] vision & bg

I had some work done to my eyes back the day after Labor Weekend.  I got very serious w/the control of my diabetes.  I thought everything was going well.  Before I got on the pump my A1C were in the 7.8.  Which is an average of 185 BG.  But, the problems came from having alot of ups and downs.

After the Laser/Eye Surgery I decided that I had to get an insulin pump and get myself under control.  I started pumping the beginning of Oct.  I got my diabetes under control. But,  I'm still having some eye problems only when my blood starts getting below 100.  My eye Dr. told me that is because my eyes were used to be high blood sugars.  Now, since I have my diabetes under control my eyes need to adapt to the new blood sugar levels.  In December my A1C are at 6.5..

I'm very happy that I'm under control do to the pump, BG test, diet and exercise.

> When I was first diagnosed 7 months ago and went on insulin, I had the same
trouble.  My opthomologist said it was when your BGs are high, your lenses
thicken and so you can have vision problems seeing halos around lights
especially at night (which was one of the vision problems I was having).  My
BGs came down and the symptoms went away in about a month.  Now I'm
pregnant, and although my BGs aren't chronically high, they definitely swing
a much wider range than they used to.  You guessed it, the halos are back.
She assures me this is temporary again, and will go away once my BGs return
to normal.

Sheri

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:58:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Miranda Miller <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] vision & bg

I have a friend who is taking prednisone and her vision is starting to
smear in the vertical direction when she looks at illuminated things like
traffic lights and digital clocks.  Can anyone tell me how their vision is
affected by their bg?  mine personally isn't very affected by high blood
sugar so I couldn't give her an answer.

Thanks much,
Miranda
Type I, pumping 4 years