Re: [IP] Insulin Needs of Adolescents . . .

> In a message dated 2/15/2002 4:44:24 PM Mountain Standard Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> > Shannon is in the midst of puberty (*OY!*) <snip>
> >  That doesn't mean she's in poor control or that she's
> >  brittle or a freak or abnormal or noncompliant, or whatever.
> >  It's just what she needs right now to stay in control. If
> >  that's what it takes, so be it.
> You're a wise mom.  My Katie isn't menstruating yet, though we've
> been having 3-4 days of insulin-resistant highs every 27-28 days for
> about a year now -- so I'm expecting to see the kinds of rises in
> total daily insulin that you're talking about anytime now.
> I keep reminding myself of just what you stated above and also of
> what Michael has written about several times re: a period of time in
> Lily's teens where she suddenly needed 90 units a day to stay in
> control and then later dropped back down (and stayed at) a more
> "noraml" TDI (something like 40-45 units a day I think) .

It is common for women that live together (little women too :-) to
have syncronized cycles. Lily's bg's cycled up and down for several
years BEFORE she had a regular period in sync to mom's cycle. The
change was not as large as some ladies describe, probably because
Lily was not menstruating yet, but the girl-body is definetly moving
the hormones around.

re: the 90u TDI, she did run at 40-60 for a couple of years after the
BIG year, but is now down in the 30's